Currently the Apple TV Jailbreak is only available on the first and second generation Apple TV devices, as the Apple TV 3 has been locked down a lot more than the first and second generation devices.
What is Jailbreaking
Jailbreaking any Apple product is the process of modifying the iOS (Apple’s operating system) to allow it to manage unauthorised applications. This allows other types of app stores to be installed on the operating system, which allows you to download apps that have not been approved on Apple’s app store. Software such as XBMC, which is a popular multimedia software, is not on Apple’s app store, but can be installed on Apple TV with the use of jailbreaking.
Jailbreaking you iOS device is not illegal, but it does void your Apple warranty.
A tethered jailbreak means that you cannot turn on/restart your iOS device without connecting it back up to a computer. These jailbreaks are usually released by the developers first as a trial basis, before they figure out how to release the modified package to allow untethered jailbreaking.
Untethered jailbreaks means your device runs as it would normally, you can restart, turn on/off your device without having to connect your device back to your PC.
Why Jailbreak The Apple TV
There are many benefits once you have jailbroken your Apple TV, allowing you to do more with the Apple TV then you could out of the box from Apple, just some of the features:
- Allows you to install 3rd party software and tools onto your Apple TV.
- Adapts AirPlay to be able to stream media from other iOS devices.
- Install Hulu, LastFM, XBMC, Pandora Radio, plus many more.
- Browse the internet from your Apple TV
- Control the Apple TV using your iPhone / iPad
- Easily installed for none the tech savvy.
How to Jailbreak Apple TV 2
- Download and install Seas0nPass
- Make sure you have the latest version if iTunes installed, a micro USB cable, and make sure you do not have any iOS devices connected to your PC
- Open SeasonPass, and click “Create IPSW”
- Once complete, connect your Apple TV using only the USB cable, then press and hold the play and pause button for 7 seconds (this enters the Apple TV into DFU mode)
- Installation will now commence onto your unit, once complete, iTunes will confirm a successful installation and boot up.
- You can now connect the Apple TV back to your television.